18 January, 2017

People knitting by Barbara Levine

I’m a knitter. I knit nearly obsessively, and have for years. Yet as far as I know, there is only one photo of me knitting. 

Barbara Levine has curated a wonderful collection of people from all walks of life, and all stages of life, knitting. From interned POWs, to movie stars (Joan Crawford, Mary Pickford, Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman – and I challenge you to see evidence of Betty Grable’s soon-to-be baby).

As I look through the images, it is hard to pick my favourite – although the little girl with the cat is right up there. Oh, and First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, knitting during a conference. 

To me, the most poignant is the man knitting for his baby, having been prescribed knitting as an anxiety therapy five years early. The photo is from 1951. Doing the maths, you wonder what horrors he saw during the Second World War. If knitting helped him weather the dark hours, then pick up those needles. 

Title: People knitting: a century of photographs 
Author: Barbara Levine. 

Recommended by Annie C, Helensville Library. 

Annie C is a voracious and versatile reader, but her habitual reads are fantasy, romance, and a diverse selection of non-fiction subjects. A life-long love of children’s books, particularly picture books, helps in her day-to-day role as a children’s librarian. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kia ora! Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions below.