11 November, 2015

Imagine there's no heaven by Mitchell Stephens.

I can spend many a day, week, even months, not pondering my religious (or otherwise) belief/s. 

Then something strikes me and I wonder whether I’m an atheist. Or an agnostic. Or both? Can you be both? 

If I picked up Stephens' book hoping for an answer, I didn’t really find it. At least, not to what I am. What I did find was a compelling exploration of the history of non-believers and their contribution to science, philosophy, society… Little things like that. 

It did make me question what I believe in instead. 

If there is no heaven – what is there. On that note, Stephens looks at why atheists can still be moralists, without the influence of a God and His – or Her – teachings.  

Well worth an exploration. And, I’m still not sure what label I give myself. 

Title: Imagine there's no heaven: how atheism helped create the modern world
Author: Mitchell Stephens.

Recommended by Annie C, Helensville Library. 
Annie C is a voracious and versatile reader, but her habitual reads are fantasy, romance, and a diverse selection of non-fiction subjects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kia ora! Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions below.