26 September, 2015

Travelling to infinity by Jane Hawking

After reading My brief history by Stephen Hawking, I became more interested in his private life than his scientific achievements.

What is his first wife, Jane Hawking who stayed with him for twenty-five years, like? What did his family life look like? And especially, how did he deal with his family while his physical body was gradually collapsing?

Jane Hawking, an ordinary lady with the same human needs and wants as anyone else, led me through this extraordinary period of her life with her vivid, heartfelt writing. She details her struggles in balancing between the normal physical needs and commitments of marriage, being a sacrificing wife and a professional woman, a loving mother and a care giving partner.

An amazing emotional love triangle involving Jane, Stephen and Jonathan is also confessed to without any glossing over.

The book has not only answered all of my questions but also led me to think infinitely beyond them - about the possibility, reality, and unknowability of the human being.

This item is also available from Auckland Libraries as an audio book, eBook, large-print book and DVD.

Author: Jane Hawking

Recommended by Honour Z,  Northcote Library

Honour Z works at Northcote Library. She loves reading biographies and nonfiction in general.

2 comments:

  1. I requested this book on 28 Feb - still waiting!! I have been number 5 for ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Richard, I'm sorry to hear this. Can you please email me (Kelly) at librariessocialmedia@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz so we can investigate and sort this out for you? Thanks!

      Delete

Kia ora! Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions below.