03 March, 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling [Rhiannon, Waiheke Library]

I finally got around to checking out The Cuckoo's Calling recently, and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised!

Like all good crime writers, J.K. Rowling had me suspecting everyone, and not realising who had ‘dunnit’ until the very end. As I would expect from the writer of the seven Harry Potter novels, the book was full of rich, well-rounded characters and complex plot details. Unlike Harry Potter, however, it was firmly based on a very realistic, very adult world of Great Britain.

Cormoran Strike, a wounded war veteran, who is easily dismissed (on a surface glance) as an amateur private investigator, turns out to have as much detective acumen as depth of character, and the crime he investigates – the supposed suicide of a high-society model – takes you deep into the underbelly of London’s high society. If you like crime of the Sherlock Holmes/ Agatha Christie variety (rather than the gritty, violent, gruesome type), then I’d recommend a foray into the world of Cormoran Strike. I’m looking forward to the sequel.

Title: The Cuckoo's Calling
Author: Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling
ISBN: 9781408703991
Published: 2013
Publisher: Sphere

- Rhiannon, Waiheke Library

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book too, I really liked the characters in the story. I am also looking forward to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Kia ora! Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions below.