15 July, 2013

What My Mother Gave Me: Thirty-One Women on the Gifts That Mattered Most by Elizabeth Benedict [Surani, Waitakere Central Library]


http://www.syndetics.com/index.php?isbn=9781616201357/lc.jpg&client=elgar&type=hw7

One of the reasons I picked up this book was obviously because of the gorgeous cover. Just looking at those vibrant gift boxes made me want to pick it up and see that the book was all about. This lovely volume is a collection of individual stories of gifts that touched the lives of some best selling and famous daughters.

Each story is uniquely told in their distinct voices.Among the contributors we find Pulitzer prize winners, best selling novelists and celebrated broadcasting journalists. All of them have one thing in common; a gift that their mother gave that touched them to the core and served as a model, a metaphor, or a touchstone in their own life.

Within each story the author explains how their mother instructed them in the ways of womanhood, encouraged their talents or just reminded her of her mother's love. I found that no matter how modest the gift, each story told of powerful bond between each mother and daughter.

While I read this, some of the stories brought a few tears to my eyes. It took me to my own childhood to the very first book my mother gave me to read; and to the many more she bought over the years. I would say that my mother gave me the best gift of all; a love of reading and a love for books. She opened up my mind and helped my imagination soar.

This is indeed a very special book! I would recommend it to everyone who shares a special bond with their mother.

Title: What My Mother Gave Me: Thirty-One Women on the Gifts That Mattered Most
Author: Elizabeth Benedict
ISBN: 9781616201357
Publisher: Chapel Hill / NC: Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill
Published: 2013

 - Surani, Waitakere Central Library

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Surani,will definitely request this one!

    ReplyDelete

Kia ora! Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions below.