20 May, 2013

Creating Room to Read: A Story of hope in the Battle for Global Literacy by John Wood [Surani, Waitakere Central library]

To start off with I need to clarify that I don't usually read 'proper' non-fiction. I'm more of a fan of armchair travel or the odd biography, but when I saw the subtitle of this particular book, 'a story of hope in the battle for global literacy', I was intrigues. Was it really that much of a battle?

As I started reading this memoir, I found myself engrossed in John Wood's story. He is the visionary behind the lauded non-profit organisation "Room to Read", which promotes education around the developing world by building school libraries and providing books so that every single child in the world can learn and love to read!! The beginnings of this global drive started in his first book, Leaving Microsoft to Change the World, where he tells the story of the start up of the organisation. In this second book John explains the many challenges he faced next, from managing expansion to raising money in a collapsing economy, and publishing books for children who literally have no books in their native language.

John begins this memoir by recounting the opening ceremony of the 10,000th library the organisation helped build!! His story is delivered in a very simple voice that is all his own.

This book was an eye-opener for me since I carved a love for reading from a very young age thanks to my equally book-loving parents who went to every extreme to provide me with books of all size and shape that fuelled my imagination. To learn that almost two-thirds of our world is illiterate was astonishing!!

I urge everyone who loves reading as much as I do to check out both of John Wood's books and make a difference in the world!

Title: Creating Room to Read: A Story of hope in the Battle for Global Literacy
Author: John Wood
ISBN: 9780670025985
Published: 2013
Publisher: Viking

 - Surani, Waitakere Central Library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kia ora! Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions below.